The attraction of investing in a plum overseas property may be strong but while the yields may be high, so too could be the risks.
Prudent research and risk-calculation prior to taking the plunge is of course essential. And some of the very real and future-determining factors to take into consideration are:
1. Foreign ownership regulations
It almost goes without saying that this would be what any discerning buyer first finds out – what governs their purchase and whether they are eligible. Newer markets, in particular South-east Asian ones such as Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos, could have more relaxed rules as their immediate interest lie in attracting investments while markets with a longer history of foreign investment such as Australia and Thailand may have more rules in place in reaction to previous market movements. In some markets such as Australia and Malaysia, there are also restrictions on the resale of foreign-owned properties, and for buyers who do not have strong holding powers, having to hold on to properties in a economic downturn with only a niche target audience could be stressful in all senses of the word.
2. Currency exchange
Though currency fluctuations are inevitable, property analysts encourage buyers to seriously consider the market or country’s political and economic states. Markets where the local currency have been fairly stable for a prolonger period of time are generally lower-risk options, though even then, it would be wise to engage the services of a lawyer or accountant to help in long-term financial planning.
3. Rental potential
The location and type of property, the track record of the property developer and the rental demand for the property are all instrumental to the make or break of an investment decision. The property size should also be taken into consideration as larger albeit rarer properties may not be as quick to find a tenant as say, a smaller-sized unit at a more palatable quantum price. Industry experts also advice investors to first have a target audience in mind as expatriates may come from different industries and have differing housing budgets.
4. Payment schedules and options
Singapore’s property market may veer to the stricter side in terms of payment schedules as they work on a progressive payment scheme. Many overseas markets however offer a deferred payment scheme, for example where a buyer puts down a 10% down-payment deposit and only pay the rest of the 90% upon completion of the projects. That could be a plus for some buyers, but it would mean a change in financial plans. With overseas property investments, there are also more lending options, some of which could offer higher levels of flexibility such as dual currency switching and mortgages with the possibility of off-setting interest.