As a well-developed estate you can expect reasonable rental returns in Bedok. The distance from the CBD means that you are unlikely to seem the same return as in closer suburbs, but the presence of the MRT and transport links via ECP results in a fairly favourable rental market.
( What’s the average HDB unit going for these days? Image courtesy of Singapore Tourism Board.)
Median Subletting Rents by Town and Flat Type for 4th Quarter 2010
- Two-Room: $1,250*
- Three-Room: $1,580
- Four-Room: $2,000
- Five-Room: $2,250
- Executive: $2,280
Bedok acts as a fairly reliable barometer of the Singapore housing market. In general, resale prices for Bedok reflect the average prices of the homes throughout Singapore, with two-, three-, and four-bedroom Bedok units within $1,000 of the average prices for the respective units. If you buy larger units, such as five-room or executives, Bedok is a less attractive market, with these coming in at roughly $40 – 50,000 below the median price island-wide.
Median Resale Prices by Town and Flat Type for Resale Cases Registered in 4th Quarter 2010
- Two-Room: $235,000* (less than 20 resale transactions in 4Q 2010)
- Three-Room: $300,000
- Four-Room: $384,000
- Five-Room: $504,000
- Executive: $597,500* (less than 20 resale transactions in 4Q 2010)
To ensure capital appreciation when buying in a heartland suburb a long way from the CBD, units that are close to public transport and amenities, such as food, shops, education centres, etc, will hold and gain in value better than other units.
As our figures below show, the value of Bedok property is on the rise, although the decline by almost a third in the number of actual transactions suggests that the government’s cooling measures are slowing the market down.
Bedok can continue to represent value, but a canny investor should wait for the prices to stabilise before committing themselves to the financial fray just yet.
- Total number of HDBs sold in Bedok: 96
- Lowest transacted HDB price in Bedok: $228,000 for a unit in Blk 550 Bedok North Ave 1
- Highest transacted HDB price in Bedok: $638,000 for a unit in Blk 407 Bedok North Ave 3
- Most Value-for-money address in Bedok: Blk 550, Bedok North Ave 1 at $311 PSF
- Most expensive address in Bedok: Blk 407, Bedok North Ave 3 at $502 PSF
A Year Ago in February 2010
- Total number of HDBs sold in Bedok: 142
- Lowest transacted HDB price in Bedok: $210,000 for a unit in Blk 504 Bedok North St 3
- Highest transacted HDB price in Bedok: $552,000 for a unit in Blk 112, Lengkong Tiga
- Most Value-for-money address in Bedok: Blk 114, Bedok Reservoir Road at $254 PSF
- Most expensive address in Bedok: Blk 182, Bedok North Road at $495 PSF
To find your home in Bedok, go to iProperty.com Singapore’s extensive list of units for sale