We all encounter electrical problems at home at one point or another. Our instant reaction is shock and frustration.
How we can cook our meals, wash our clothes, and get anything done when the lights are busted or the electricity is not working?
However, we should always stay calm. It may be wiser not to call the electrician right away since there are home electrical problems that you can easily diagnose and repair. Here are some of the common home electrical problems and solutions.
See more: Top Tips for Renovating to Resell
1. Light bulbs blowing and electrical surges
This is perhaps the most usual electrical fault at home and the most annoying as well. It is certainly very infuriating when the lights go out while you are in the middle of doing something very important.
So what are the possible reasons when light bulbs regularly blow?
You might be using cheap light bulbs at home. You may think you have saved by purchasing these bulbs instead of the branded ones. Well, you got it wrong. Since these bulbs do not last long, they have to be replaced frequently and the cost of doing this is much higher than buying well-tested brands.
You may also opt to use LED lamps instead. LED lights consume less energy and last longer than ordinary lamps. With LED, you will not be burdened with frequent replacement of busted lamps.
Another possibility for this problem is a loose connection in the lamp holder. Over time, the lamp might have been dislodged or loosened from the socket. Just check if the lighting fixture is tightened well. Also, check the wire or the circuit; there must be something somewhere, such as poor wiring and faulty appliances that caused the surge.
If electrical surges are more frequent than usual, you must call an electrician who can thoroughly check the home grid, wirings, and circuit boards.
2. Flickering lights and power sags
You are just at the comfort of your home when suddenly the lights go off and on, blinking as if you are inside a club or some paranormal presence entered your home. Either you will get pissed off or freak out in fear. But what exactly causes this to happen?
Again, there might be a loose connection somewhere in the circuit. Check the line and lighten connections. Another possible reason is a broken, light switch. The switch might be normal to look outside but inside, there might be loosely-connected wires, bolts or screws.
Take your screwdrivers and tools, open up the switch, and check the connection inside.
Faulty wiring can also this problem. When the wires are moved by wind or other agents, a short happens to cause light to flicker. A short-circuit poses a high level of risk since it can suddenly start a fire. Hence, regularly check your wiring to make sure they are not severed, scraped, or damaged.
Furthermore, the dimmer switch you had installed might not be compatible. Either this is a result of bad planning on your part, or you received a bad advice from the hardware store. Whatever the case is, replace the dimmer switch with the right one as soon as you possibly can.
Lastly, power sags and dips happen when the power grip is defective and electrical appliances are connected to it. Use of low-quality materials, especially the wires, can also cause this. When the grid is switched on, it draws more power, possibly causing surge and a leap on your electrical consumption.
3. Overloading and suspicious smells
Do you suddenly smell something smoky inside the house?
Something like a burnt smell coming from your electrical equipment, as if something inside has caught fire. If that is the case, then something might be wrong with it.
Overloading could have caused this suspicious smell. When there are too many appliance units being used at the same time, especially high-powered ones like the refrigerator or dryer, an electrical overload could happen.
A part of the appliance’s circuitry, particularly along the cord or in the socket, may have slightly burned. If this happens more often, consider asking your electrician to add another branch circuit in your home, if not, refrain from using appliances all at the same time. Overloading, if not addressed properly, is very dangerous as it can also lead to fire.
Lastly, check the fittings. Old fluorescent lamp fittings could have developed fault over time. In the case of appliances, there might be a loose connection in a plug.
Other than the above-mentioned problems, we also have other bad habits at home that can cause electrical problems. Letting a junction box left uncovered, relying on too many extension cords and power strips, and over-circuited panel are some of these.
If left uncorrected, it can cause a stress in our electrical bills, damage to our properties, and worst, a danger to our lives.
This post was first published on Property Quotient.